Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Review our cookies information for more details.

skip to main content

Allergist / Immunologist Defined

Allergist / immunologists, often referred to as allergists, are specialists in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies, asthma and immune deficiency disorders. 

Allergists in the United States have completed medical school, at least three years of residency in pediatrics or internal medicine, then at least two years of specialized training in allergy and immunology. To be board certified, they must pass an examination given by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology. To maintain board-certification, allergists must complete a rigorous maintenance of certification process that includes continuing medical education, practice assessment/quality improvement activities, and completion of a recertification exam at specified intervals.

Make certain you are treated by an expert. The AAAAI's Find an Allergist / Immunologist service is a trusted resource to help you find a specialist close to home.

Video: When should I see an allergist? (what are allergists and what they do)