Tips For Administering Eye Drops
1. Wash hands.
2. Rotate the bottle around gently for 30- 40 seconds before inserting drops.
3. Tilt head back.
4. Pull the lower lid away from the eye. This can be done by method I, pulling downward with one finger, or by method II, pinching the lower lid into which a drop may be inserted.
5. Let the medicine fall from the bottle’s dropper into the pocket. Do not touch the dropper against the eye or anything else.
6. If more than one drop has been ordered, wait 3 to 4 minutes before putting another drop into the same eye.
7. Replace the bottle cap immediately after use. This keeps the medication clean.
8. After inserting the drops, close the eyelids and apply pressure for 1 to 2 minutes over the point where the lid meets the nose.
9. Wipe excess liquid with a tissue.
10. Wash hands.
• When administering multiple eye medications, wait 5 to 15 minutes before delivering second medication to same eye in order to prevent dilution.
• Eye drop medical devices are available.
• Avoid contaminating eye dispenser from contact with eye, eyelid, eyelashes, or finger.
• Do not rub eyes.
Find out more about eye allergies.