Anaphylaxis (an-a-fi-LAK-sis) is a serious allergic response that often involves swelling, hives, lowered blood pressure and in severe cases, shock. If anaphylactic shock isn't treated immediately, it can be fatal.
A major difference between anaphylaxis and other allergic reactions is that anaphylaxis typically involves more than one system of the body.
Symptoms usually start within 5 to 30 minutes of coming into contact with an allergen to which an individual is allergic. In some cases, however, it may take more than an hour to notice anaphylactic symptoms. Warning signs may include:
- Red rash (usually itchy and may have welts/hives)
- Swollen throat or swollen areas of the body
- Passing out
- Chest tightness
- Trouble breathing
- Hoarse voice
- Trouble swallowing
- Stomach cramping
- Pale or red color to the face and body
Anaphylaxis may occur in people with allergies to foods, insect stings, medications or latex. If you are at risk for anaphylaxis, be prepared with an anyphylaxis action plan and by carrying autoinjectible epinephrine.
Download and complete an anaphylaxis action plan form now!
Learn more about anaphylaxis.