Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Review our cookies information for more details.



I have a patient presented with systemic reaction after wasp sting. Can I just test for wasp or add other vespids for skin or SIgE test?


The answer is somewhat dependent on the part of the country you live in and the relative frequency of various vespids. I tend to test for all of the non-honeybee vespids present in our county when a person is sure they were not stung by a honeybee. This may be three or so additional tests, but it answers the question.

I hope this information is of help to you and your patient.

Eric Macy, MD, MS, FAAAAI

Close-up of pine tree branches in Winter Close-up of pine tree branches in Winter