Electronic Health Records
Physicians today are facing a variety of challenges in a rapidly changing environment, and adoption of EHRs may be one of the most significant. The number of medical practices using EHRs has increased measurably over the past decade.
The 2019 National Electronic Health Records Survey (NEHRS) conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and sponsored by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) showed significant EHR adoption (Reference 1). According to this survey, the percent of office-based physicians using any EHR system was 89.9% (Reference 2,3).
Reference 1: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nehrs/about.htm
Reference 2: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/electronic-medical-records.htm
Reference 3: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nehrs/2019NEHRS-PUF-weighted-estimates-508.pdf
A report by KLAS in 2022, notes the EHRs with highest hospital market share in 2021 in the United by vendor in order of decreasing share were: Epic (32.9%), Cerner (24.4%), MEDITECH (16.7%), CPSI (8.7%), Allscripts (4.3%), MEDHOST (3.1%), and other (9.8%) (Reference 4).
Reference 4: US Hospital Market Share 2022. Strong Purchasing Energy across Large, Small, and Standalone. April 26, 2022.
Included here are links on the benefits and challenges of EHR adoption, as well as selection and implementation guidance.
1. Certified EHR Technology (https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/Certification
2. Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Electronic Health Record Incentive Program-Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 Through 2017 (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/04/15/2015-08514/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-electronic-health-record-incentive-program-modifications-to#h-9)
3. 2015 Edition Cures Update Certified EHR criteria – (https://www.healthit.gov/topic/information-blocking)
4. CY 2021 PFS final rule (85 FR 84818 through 84828) - (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/12/28/2020-26815/medicare-program-cy-2021-payment-policies-under-the-physician-fee-schedule-and-other-changes-to-part)
Overview and Benefits
• EHR Basics
• Benefits of EHRs
• Health IT Case Studies
• Nir Menachemi and Taleah H Collum. Benefits and drawbacks of electronic health record systems. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2011; 4: 47–55
Selection and Implementation
• HealthIT.gov: How do I conduct a practice EHR readiness assessment?
• Comagine Health EHR Readiness Assessment Tool (Word Document, March 2020) – (https://comagine.org/sites/default/files/resources/EHR%20Readiness%20Assessment%20Tool%20-%20High%20Level.docx)
• Taft.org EHR readiness assessment toolkit
Available EHR Selection Tools
• KLAS offers vendor neutral ratings of healthcare technology
• American College of Physicians—EHR Roadmap
AAAAI Practice Management Resource Guide
Chapter 10: Electronic Medical Records, Electronic Prescribing, Mobile Technology and Practice Management Software
These links are for research only. They are not endorsed by the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI).