A central resource [termed the School-based Asthma Management Program (SAMPROTM
)], is sponsored by the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, and developed in collaboration with others
Improving health and school-related outcomes for children with asthma requires the use of school-based partnerships that focus on integrated care coordination amongst families, clinicians and school nurses.
For asthma care, the SAMPROTM
components to integrate schools, and specifically school nurses, within the asthma care team. These components are:
1. The creation of a Circle of Support
amongst the families, clinicians and schools nurses centered around the child with asthma.
2. The creation and transmission of Asthma Management Plans
to schools. This includes an Asthma Emergency Treatment Plan
for emergency management of asthma symptoms and an individualized Asthma Action Plan
for each child with asthma. A standardized Asthma Action Plan
Asthma Action Plan
Asma - plan de acción
For a downloadable and fillable version please see School-based Asthma Management Program – (SAMPROTM).
School Supplementary Treatment Orders Form (To be Sent with the Asthma Action Plan)
Órdenes de Tratamiento Complementarias para la Escuela (Se enviarán con el plan de acción contra el asma)
3. A comprehensive Asthma Education Plan
for school personnel.
4. A comprehensive Environmental Asthma Plan
to assess and remediate asthma triggers at home and in school.
, developed by multiple stakeholders
, standardizes recommendations for school based asthma, and provides websites and resources useful for the care of children with asthma in the school setting.
How to use this toolkit:
will provide information for feasible implementation of SAMPROTM
into local communities. We encourage users to complete the free registration process to allow for full downloads of available material. Information requested from the user will be used to update users on toolkit updates and study usage patterns of the toolkits by school nurses and clinicians.
SAMPRO Toolkit Highlights:
- SAMPROTM Slidesets (Page 3)
- Downloadable Asthma Action Plans in English and Spanish (Pages 6-9)
- Checklists for Clinicians, Families and School Nurses (Pages 10, 14 and 15)
- Online Asthma Education Videos, Education Links and Much More (Pages 22-26)
- Links to Indoor Quality Management Tools and Education (pages 27-28)
Note: The page numbers correspond to the toolkit zip file.