« Back to A to Z Listing

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (HP)

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (HP) is an inflammation of the lungs caused by a heightened sensitivity to certain types of chemicals, molds, dust, fungi or bacteria.

HP occurs most often in people who are regularly exposed to high levels of these substances in the workplace. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis may also be triggered by fungi or bacteria from humidifiers, hot tubs, heating systems and air conditioners.

HP symptoms can include coughing, chills, body aches, or chest tightness. After hours or days of no contact with the trigger, symptoms typically go away. Without early intervention, fatigue and weight loss can occur. Left undiagnosed and untreated, HP can lead to chronic lung disease.

AAAAI - American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology