Children who are highly allergic to a substance (such as peanuts), is there any danger in them eating food cooked in a pot or pan that was previously used for cooking that substance?


Thank you for your inquiry.

To the best of my knowledge, and according to a literature search, there are no scientifically conducted studies that have looked at this issue. Therefore we are limited to "expert opinion" and "common sense" strategies. I have thus copied for you below a statement and link from our Academy that is most relevant to your inquiry as well as a link to another excellent website in this regard which speaks to the same issue.

Thank you again for your inquiry and we hope this response is helpful to you.

Food Allergy: Tips to Remember: AAAAI
While exposure to airborne food allergens (e.g., from cooking vapors) usually does not result in anaphylaxis, it can cause a runny nose and itchy eyes similar to a reaction from coming in contact with pollen. However, eating even a small amount of the food, such as that left on cooking utensils or from a food processing facility, can cause a life-threatening reaction. This is why reading the ingredients on food labels and asking questions about prepared foods are an essential part of avoidance plans.

Understanding the difference between Cross-Contamination vs. Cross-Contact
Food Allergy Research & Education, Inc. (FARE)

Phil Lieberman, M.D.

Ask A Question

Healthcare Professionals: If you can’t find what you are looking for, please send us your question.

Due to the number of questions submitted to Ask the Expert, we are experiencing a significant delay in responses at this time.

Ask now

AAAAI - American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology