American Board of Allergy and Immunology (ABAI)
The American Board of Allergy and Immunology (ABAI) establishes qualifications and examines physicians to become recognized specialists in allergy and immunology. The ABAI is a conjoint board of the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Pediatrics.
The ABAI is an independent non-profit organization and establishes its processes and standards free of any professional or governmental body.
The ABAI mission is to:
• Improve the quality of medical care by the development and utilization of professional and educational standards for the initial certification and maintenance of certification of physician specialists in allergy / immunology.
• Provide assurance to the public that a physician specialist certified in allergy / immunology has successfully completed an approved education program and evaluation process which includes components designed to assess the medical knowledge, judgment, professionalism and clinical (and communication) skills required to provide safe, effective patient care in allergy / immunology.
• Serve the public and the health care community by providing the names of physicians certified by the ABAI as allergists and immunologists and those who are participating in Maintenance of Certification.
• Establish standards for training programs in allergy / immunology working with the Residency Review Committee for Allergy and Immunology of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
• Maintain records of ABAI certified allergist / immunologists and records of active participation in Maintenance of Certification.
The purpose of certification by the ABAI is to provide assurance to the public and the medical profession that a certified allergist / immunologist has successfully completed an accredited educational program and an evaluation process, including a secure, proctored examination.
ABAI certification also assures that the physician possesses the knowledge, skills and experience requisite to the provision of high-quality patient care in allergy and immunology.