As part of the November AAAAI Board meeting in Washington, DC, AAAAI leaders met with Senators and Representatives who play leadership roles with respect to health policy and research. The visits to Capitol Hill are part of the AAAAI’s ongoing efforts to advocate for issues involving the specialty and its patients.
The AAAAI has advocated for many years on issues including research funding, graduate medical education (GME) and comparative effectiveness of immunotherapy in allergy and asthma patients, and this year added a range of additional issues around physician reimbursement and patient access. Both Washington Health Advocates and Hart Health Strategies worked with AAAAI leaders to strategize on which key topics should be the focus of discussions. These included:
• Family Asthma Act, S. 2804
• Asthma Management Plans in School Act, H.R. 1007
• Antibiotic Development to Advance Patient Treatment (ADAPT) Act, H.R. 3742
• Patients’ Access to Treatments Act, H.R. 460
• Medicare IVIG Demonstration Project
• Repealing and replacing the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) physician payment formula
Learn more about these issues by reading the supporting materials that AAAAI leaders distributed during their Capitol Hill visits.